A Week of Writing, Head Stands, Ice Skating, and Aha Moments. Don’t worry – I’ve left out the boring parts.
- Post blog December Update in which I write: I think I’ve finally decided what the first chapter will be and that’s actually a HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT.
- Receive six critiques on Chapter 1. Lots of really nice comments like this one:
“…First of all I would like to say it is exciting to see someone who has lived in India for two years rather than a vacation but still has the outsider’s perspective writing about India. I also thought your writing was excellent….”
Some that made me laugh like this one:
“…LOL- now that is not an Indian accent. Sounds more Mexican…”
And a couple like this:
“…This seems like an anecdote. There needs to be more tension…”
I nod my head and make note to self: Add story to anecdote. Laughs…sort of.
- Now reading: The First Fifty Pages: Engage Agents, Editors and Readers, and Set Your Novel Up For Success by Jeff Gerke
- The First Fifty Pages makes a lot of sense. There must be a story question. What does the main character want and does she get it? Racking brain, I know how India changed me but did I really go there looking for something? It’s not as easy as Eat, Pray, Love – miserable, divorced woman searching for love and she finds it. Or Holy Cow, which was all about a woman who goes to India and explores spirituality.
- I need to explore what was going on in my life before we went to India: I had Meniere’s disease for six years, I had to quit work (Operating Room Nurse) because of it. I was bored – housework, grocery shopping, driving the kids around to activities. I started taking writing courses and published a few articles.
- I won’t bore you with the rest but I’m delving into myself. Came across this funny and posted it on Facebook with the caption:
“Watch out parents I’m writing about myself today (laughs hysterically)”:
Oh, don’t worry, it’s not that kind of book. I’m just figuring it all out.
- Read some more of The First Fifty Pages.
- Go to a friend’s house for dinner. Walk inside and friend says, “Bad day.” I hear the sound of a young child projectile vomiting. The Exorcist comes to mind. Friend’s husband says, “Don’t worry, I’m sure it’s just Norwalk.” Notes to self: 1) Don’t touch anything, and, 2) Possible short story?
- Half way through The First Fifty Pages. Getting a grasp on it. Many options.
- Finish 3/4 of the book (The First Fifty Pages)
- Break time: Go ice-skating outside!
- Listen to Macklemore Same Love.
- Finish The First Fifty Pages.
- Procrastinate – now I’m a real writer!
- Watch WestJet Holiday Miracle Video. Isn’t it wonderful? I’m crying. Tears fall onto touchpad – touchpad stops working. What the…? Panic.
- Read article Facebook Admits Organic Reach Is Falling Short, Urges Marketers to Buy Ads limiting reach to Followers in favor of Paid Ads. It’s true only a small fraction of my Facebook followers see my posts.
- Do headstand and contemplate deleting Facebook “Author” Page. Of course, I don’t want to lose my Facebook Followers. Ideally I would prefer people to sign up on my website for email updates.
- Now that I have finished The First Fifty Pages I’m off to
Starbuckscreate the best first sentence, the best first page: The Best First Fifty Pages and Beyond.
Any words of wisdom? What’s important to you in The First Fifty Pages of a book? Would you sign up to receive email updates instead of Facebook? Let me know what you think in the comments section. Thanks!